FUNDEM has three main lines of action:
1.- Dissemination and promotion of the use of native species in gardening , of special interest from the ecological point of view and the conservation of nature.
Regarding the line of dissemination and promotion of the use of native species in gardening, Fundem has a demonstration garden of 50,000 m 2 in the Pedreguer (Alicante-Spain): the Mediterranean garden of l’Albarda .
A garden of native species that shows the great diversity of our flora, which stands out for its beauty in each of the seasons, and which is managed with the strictest sustainability criteria. An example to follow in the implementation or restoration of gardens, whether public or private, if we want to preserve the great biodiversity of our community, as well as contribute to curbing climate change at a global level.
Its natural and landscape quality has been recognized with the 2002 Master of Landscaping award, awarded by the Polytechnic University of Valencia.
2.- Responsible management of the territory. Purchase and custody of land of high ecological interest for its integral conservation.
Regarding the line of responsible management of the territory (purchase and custody), FUNDEM owns an area of more than 240 hectares in Tinença de Benifassà, one of the areas with the greatest ecological value in the Valencian Community. This property was acquired in 1997 when there was no protection figure on this space.
By RESOLUTION of August 14, 1998, of the General Directorate for Sustainable Development, of the Ministry of the Environment, a hunting refuge is declared, with the name of Mas del Peraire Biological Station . Subsequently, three flora microreserves are created attached to the LIFE Project for the Conservation of Flora of the Valencian Community, and in 2005 it was declared a wildlife reserve. Today it is part of the Tinença de Benifassà natural Park (Castellón-Spain).
3.- The promotion of donations of large gardens and their architectural heritage that, due to their artistic or historical value, deserve to be preserved and that constitute an important tourist and cultural attraction in our country for the enjoyment of citizenship.
In addition, and among others, Fundem carries out the following actions :
- Promotion of activities aimed at the respectful enjoyment of nature.
- Strengthening and collaboration with all kinds of actions aimed at preventing forest fires, carrying out reforestations with native species in accordance with the ecosystems and all those measures aimed at preventing the loss of biodiversity and degradation of the ecosystem, as well as those aimed at correcting the advance of erosion and desertification of our soils, with emphasis on the recharge and improvement of aquifers.
- Promotion, advice and implementation of research and intervention projects and programs in the environment, for the preservation and regeneration of natural spaces or endangered species.
- Call for scholarships, grants and prizes to finance research projects related to the foundational purposes.
- Institutional relationship with public and private entities whose main purposes are the development of lines of research in environmental matters, carrying out exchange agreements and media transactions at any level.
- Development of all those actions that are necessary for the fulfilment of its purposes and are not contrary to the legal system.